5/12/14

Ice Cream Adventures

I was given an ice cream maker by a very kind sister from church.  Words cannot describe how grateful and excited I am for such a contraption!

The ice cream machine has lived at my house for a little over a week and has already been put to work 3 times.  I figured I should share my 1st recipe with you!

Chocolate-Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
-2 cups half and half (1c. whole milk, 1 c. cream)
- small bunch chocolate mint
-5 egg yolks
-5 oz. sugar
-3 oz. 60% (bittersweet) chocolate, chopped

1. Heat half and half to a simmer.  Add chocolate mint (or regular mint) and cover.  Let steep until desired flavor is reached.

2. In a bowl, mix yolks and sugar with a whisk.  Slowly add hot half and half while whisking.  Pour mixture back into pot and stir with a wooden spoon over med-low heat until thick.  The mixture should coat the back of a spoon and hold a line when a finger is pulled across it.

3.  Place chopped chocolate in a clean bowl.  Pour hot mixture over.  Let sit 1 minute.  Whisk until emulsified.  Strain.  Chill mixture to 40F or lower and spin per ice cream machine instructions.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment