9/5/13

Caramel Sauce

I've gushed over Martha Stewart before, but this time I really mean it.  That woman is a lifesaver.  I've tried to make caramel sauce once before and failed so horribly that I was afraid to try it again.  Martha's specific instructions gave me courage to try again.  I can now live my life without shame--at least when it comes to caramel sauce.

My recipe is adapted from here.

Caramel Sauce
-1 cup sugar
-5 T. cubed butter
-1/2 tsp. sea salt
-1/2 tsp. vanilla
-scant 1/2 cup of heavy cream

1. Heat the sugar over medium heat in a saucepan-no stirring yet! When the sugar at the edges of the pan start to look melted, use a spatula to pull the edges inward over slightly lower heat.  Continue to use the spatula around the edges until all the sugar is melted and golden brown. Do not burn.

2. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and salt.  Whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla.  Pour into a container to cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment